The quality of a child’s play environment sets the stage for a lifetime of passion, interest and wonder since it is through play that children build their first connections to the natural world.
The Children at Play Network explores how to connect children to the natural world by creating amazing places to play outdoors. We are building a network of regional expertise that can focus on incremental and ongoing support for improving outdoor play environments.
The Children at Play Network connects children to nature through free play.
The Children at Play Network works at the community level to advocate for free play in the outdoors so that every child has a place in nature where they feel free, safe, healthy, empowered and joyful.
- Free play honors and connects us withthe nature of being human.
- Healthy play environments are part of the foundtion of healthy communities.
- Every child has a right to natural play environments that support their healthy development.
- Children have a right to be included in the process of designing play environments.
- Free play in nature nurtures the next generation of environmental stewards.
- Play work is a revolutionary practice that directly confronts systemic problems.
- Play work is collaborative.
- learn from others
- discover for ourselves
- share with the network
- convene advocates
- establish and convene communities of practice
- respond to the needs of the community
- nurture networks
- empower others
THE PRACTICE OF PLAY
- implement ideas
- facilitate play opportunities
- build places where play happens
- reflect on our work
- address inequities
- confront adverse childhood experiences
- measure our progress