Play Planning Grants provide support to schools, childcare centers and non-profit organizations that are interested in creating new or improving existing outdoor play environments for children. Through a competitive process, Bernheim selects a limited number of partners that are prepared to commit to the exploration of creative new opportunities in how our region provisions for outdoor play.
Play Planning Grants support staff training and a collaborative planning process. They do not provide cash. Both new and reimagined existing play environments are considered. The final result of the grant will be a conceptual plan that will require additional financial and in-kind support in order to implement. The grants do not cover actual construction or implementation.
Our selection process favors:
- Partners committed to valuing outdoor play as a fundamental part of their long-term vision
- Partners who are willing to invest, within their capacity, in the eventual phasing, buildout, use and maintenance of outdoor play environments
- Recipients who will allow the Children at Play Network to explore different budgets, physical constraints, audiences and a variety of situations
- Recipients who demonstrate existing buy-in for the planning and eventual implementation from the appropriate governing authorities or stakeholders
- Partners who are willing to work with the Children at Play Network to share the successes and challenges we discover in the design process
- Projects focused on getting children outdoors where they can begin developing connections to outdoor play and nature